Latihan Soal TOEFL
Underline the subjects once and the verbs twice in each of the following sentences. Then indicate if the sentences are correct (C) or incorrect (I).
1. For three weeks at the beginning of the semester students with fewer than the maximum number of units can add additional courses. (I/C)
2. On her lunch hour went to a nearby department store to purchase a wedding gift. (I/C)
3. The fir trees were grown for the holiday season were harvested in November. (I/C)
4. In the grove the overripe oranges were falling on the ground. (I/C)
5. The papers being delivered at 4:00 will contain the announcement of the president’s Resignation. (I/C)
6. A specialty shop with various blends from around the world in the shopping mall. (I/C)
7. The portraits exhibited in the Houston Museum last month are now on display in Dallas. (I/C)
8. With a sudden jerk of his hand threw the ball across the field to one of the other players. (I/C)
9. Construction of the housing development it will be underway by the first of the month. (I/C)
10. Those applicants returning their completed forms at the earliest date have thehighest priority. (I/C)
TOEFL EXERCISE (Skills 1-5): Choose the letter of the word or group of words that best completes the sentence.
The North Platte River ___ from Wyoming into Nebraska.
(A) it flowed
(D) with flowing water
___ Biloxi received its name from a Sioux word meaning “first
(A) The city of
(B) Located in
(C) It is in
(D) The tour included
A pride of lions — up to forty lions, including one to three males, several
females, and cubs.
(A) can contain
(B) it contains
4. _ tea plant are small and white.
(B) On the
(C) Having flowers the
(D) The flowers of the
The tetracyclines, ____ antibiotics, are used to treat infections.
(A) are a family of
(B) being a family
(C) a family of
(D) their family is
Any possible academic assistance from taking stimulants ___ marginal at best.
(A) it is
(B) there is
7. Henry Adams, born in Boston, ____ famous as a historian and novelist.
(B) and became
(C) he was
(D) and he became
The major cause — the pull of the Moon on the Earth.
(A) the ocean tides are
(B) of ocean tides is
(C) of the tides in the ocean
(D) the oceans’ tides
Still a novelty in the late nineteenth century, ____ limited to the rich.
(B) was photography
(C) it was photography
(D) photography was
10. A computerized map of the freewaysusing information gathered by sensors embedded in the pavement ____ on a local cable channel during rush hours.
(D) to air
Kunci Jawaban Toefl Structure
2. I tidak ada subjek, sebaiknya tambahkan subjek sebelum went
3. I verb nya double ( were grown dan were harvested)
6. I tidak ada verb, sebaiknya jadi could be is in the shopping
8. I tidak ada subject, seharusnya he threw
9. I subjeknya double (construction dan it)